Guidelines on Buying Intercom for Better Home Automation
An intercom that is found in schools, offices, hospitals, liners and ships, and other large establishments, even at homes is a very helpful electronic communication device. By simply pressing a button, the system will facilitate communication of people from different rooms instantly.
Today, the use of intercom is becoming popular not only in workplaces but also in every household. Proper caution and right knowledge is very important. There are essential guidelines that will help you find an ideal intercom which suits your need for home automation.
- Set an appropriate budget and make comparisons. It is important to have proper money allocation before shopping. The amount will depend on the type, brand, features, and workmanship of the intercom system.
- Acquire basic knowledge. Different brands have various systems. However its main components are the same. Generally, the basic parts of an intercom includes: (a) central control panel or master station- the unit controlling the system (b) door station/sub-stations-slave units or speakers connected to control panels (c) power supply-feeds power to different units to function.
- Determine the needed range. Intercom systems have varying ranges depending on its manufacturing characteristics. There are intercoms reaching approximately 304.8 meters or 1,000 feet. Selecting ranges of intercom systems vary on its purpose and use like communication from one room to another, from one floor to another, or from one building to another. There are several purposes for using intercoms. It includes connecting different rooms, connecting rooms to the central office, broadcasting announcements like public address systems, and functioning as bells typically at school signaling changes of classes or at home connecting door buzzer.
- Check whether the intercom is compatible with your building or home structure. Good quality of sound delivered by the intercom systems depends on the building or home structure. Obstacles like metal walls may cause interference on the signals preventing clear sound to come out on the intercom system.
- Choose the type which you desire. A wireless intercom system is more expensive compared to hard-wired and it offers the advantage of easy installation. You simply plug it into the power source, and you are all set. It is based on the signals sent throughout the electric wiring. However, the circuits must be the same especially if you are adding another room. The level of performance might be affected if the circuits are different. The wireless intercom range depends on the building and home materials used and electrical wiring conditions.
A hard-wired (traditional intercom) system requires connection of wires on the whole system installed throughout the building or home. It provides minimal restrictions or interference, but it less convenient and expensive upon installation.
Video intercom system provides you the capability to talk and see your visitors before opening the door giving you safety assurance. It has a built-in small camera integrated in your door chime for security purposes.
Intercom acting as full sound systems is programmed via master stations controlling the functionality of the intercom in a room or patio that are resistant to weathers. It can control the music power and volume of the system.
- Determine the types of power supply. Intercom systems can functions using batteries (replaced regularly) or AC supply (equivalent to 12V DC).
- Check the warranty of the product. The warranty and entire coverage reflects the manufacturer’s confidence on their products. It is important to understand their provisions and clauses stated in their warranty certificate. It should be backed up by the manufacturers and local dealers.
- Select accredited manufacturers and dealers who are in the intercom business for many years and known for giving quality products and services to its costumers. They should provide you with different possible options and help you choose the right intercom. They are not only offering clear consideration on their warranty but extensive support after selling their products. Shopping experience and invested money should be worth it.
Following these guidelines will truly help you find the perfect intercom that you want. It makes your communication tasks easier and lets you enjoy its great benefits. You and your family members can check or call each other when needed. Monitoring somebody in your home without much hassle is successfully achieved.